nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Flies (off topic)

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Flies (off topic)
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:10:45 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Flies (off topic)
My error.  We have reduced flow faucets that don't stir up the detergent that much.  Add the detergent last and stir gently to mix, if you have fast flowing faucets that really froth up the water.
-Lon Rombough
I have a plastic container with a bit of fermented fruit in the
bottom and a plastic sandwich bag loosely over the top. This attracts
lots of flies from the boxes of fruit I have in the house. Several
times a day I hold the plastic bag tight against the yogurt container
and squash the flies through the plastic.  This works very
efficiently, but the vinegar trap sounds maintenance-free.

An hour ago I made two cider vinegar traps, following instructions.
The bubbles haven't dissipated yet, so no flies have drowned.  I
think the instructions should be amended so that the drops of
dishwashing liquid are added last to the vinegar/water jar.  The
detergent should then just float on the surface rather than forming
bubbles as it does if it is put in the jar first.