nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Flies (off topic)

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Flies (off topic)
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:47:41 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Flies (off topic)
   Never-fail fruit fly trap.  In a pint (or quart, if you wish) jar, put in 3-4 drops of dish washing detergent, 1/3 of a jar of cider vinegar (has to be cider, white doesn't work nearly as well), and fill the jar half to 2/3 full.  Set this in an area where you have a lot of fruit flies.  You may need several around the room.  The vinegar smell attracts them, and the detergent removes the surface tension of the liquid.  The result is that as soon as a fly touches the surface of the liquid, it immediately sinks and drowns.  Within a day you will have a thick layer of dead flies on the bottom of the jar.  As a bonus, the vinegar tends to absorb odors from the room.
-Lon Rombough

Since this is a fruit group, I thought there might be some expertise here on how to control/get rid of fruit flies out of our kitchen.  We keep trying to move resources for them, but they seem to keep finding something to sustain them  (If nothing else is available they'll 'rest' on the Amaryllis plants I have in the kitchen window).  They're a huge cloud as of now.  Has anyone had this kind of problem and what was successful on getting rid of them for you?