nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Currants and Horses

  • From: "Naomi" <dragon-star@cableone.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Currants and Horses
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:42:55 -0600

Title: RE: [NAFEX] Currants and Horses
You have shorthorns!? Are they beef shorthorns, polled? I am interested in that breed.  Please write to me. dragon-star@cableone.net
Naomi

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of Brungardt, Sam
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 11:21 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers

My experience with wild currants of the same species as Crandall (R. odoratum) down in west-central Kansas is that most beef cattle will not browse much on this species unless the pasture is under intense grazing pressure.  This was true with our Shorthorns and Herefords, but not with the Charolais, which pretty much browsed or grazed on anything that would stand still, including the wild currants. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA zone 4b)