nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Currants and Horses

  • From: JoanRRosenberg@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Currants and Horses
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:04:15 -0400

Don't be in such a hurry. My horses are just as apt to pull something out
for funsies if they can't eat it or don't want to eat it. You need to put
enough rails on the posts that the smallest nose cannot poke thru and pull
out the plant. The fence needs to be high enough that the most long-necked
cannot snake over and snitch. It needs to be sturdy enough that the rail
cannot be pushed, pulled or broken by an ambitious an hungry equine. Or you
can use wire cattle fence with graduated spacing between welded wire. My
appaloosa Whiskers is notorious for that - he even pulls out thornbushes that
I won't touch without heavy thornproof gloves. I have all sorts of stuff on
the fenceline, and so far so good. But if he ever gets to the other side, I
can say "goodbye" to my grapes. Horses will also stip bark and eat branches
of small trees. They find apricots, peaches, apples and forsythia bushes
particularly appealing.