nafex - Re: [NAFEX] New York and Currants

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] New York and Currants
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:31:50 -0400

Hi Mike,

Canada never had a ban, and it has come to light that the bans were ineffective, and costly in those states that had them (ribe eradication programs).

Ribes were blamed as an alternate host for white pine blister rust (WPBR).  Guess what, when the ribes were gone WPBR just found other suitable plants to be an alternate host.  Nature always finds a way.

Most states are lifting the bans or modifying them.

Later,
Tom

Michael D. Bathrick wrote:
New York had a long standing ban on currants, full ban on black, partial
on red. Last week a friend told me the ban had been lifted, though I
can't find anything on the internet confirming that. Can anyone here
confirm the lifting of the ban, and perhaps point me to something
official?

Thanks!

Mike