nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Early apple

  • From: "Vintage Virginia Apples LLC" <fruit@vintagevirginiaapples.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Early apple
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:51:41 -0500

Lucky, I have two MonArk trees that went in in 1998, bought from Ed
Fackler's Rocky Meadow. We had about three apples in 2001 and perhaps a
peck and a half in 2002 which was a horrible year in just about every way
here--no winter, early spring and bloom, late freeze, damp and drizzley into
June followed by unrelenting drought and searing heat into September.
Apples were unripe on Monday and overdone by Thursday...one just wanted to
cry. But the MonArks were okay. I don't think we picked them at the
optimal point, which was a real challenge this year and we are not very
experienced at this to boot, but they kept fairly well in cold storage
around 35-37 degrees for six to eight weeks or more. They are a big red
apple, red over green really, and have a very fine flavor for an early
apple. We have a small new upscale food market here to which I am selling,
and I think they will be very well received there. This and Pristine are
our best flavored early apples thus far. I have both these varieties on
MM-111. What else can I tell you. Ask me again in August.
Cheers!
Charlotte
Vintage Virginia Apples LLC
P. O. Box 210