nafex - RE: [NAFEX] MAIA annual meeting

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] MAIA annual meeting
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:01:16 -0800

I have been participating in the on-line discussion of an amateur breeding
group. There is only a bit of interest in fruit among the members, but
that's better than no interest at all. This group is the Rose Hybridizers
Association, and a link to their forum is
http://www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/index.php .

Rose hips are a fruit full of vitamin C and bioflavonoids, and the seeds are
a good source of vitamin E. Here are some choice edible roses that I will
be planting.

Rugosa roses produce cherry tomato sized fruits. 'Scabrosa' and 'Alba' are
especially nice.
Rosa villosa, known as apple rose, produces large hips.
Rosa roxburghii, known as Sweet chestnut rose, has fruits that are aromatic
and very spiny.
Rosa pimpinellifolia, known as Burnet rose, has small black hips that are
unusually sweet and pleasant tasting.
Rosa abyssinica 'Basye's Amphidiploid' hips are very sweet and is used as a
food crop in Africa.

As these mature, I hope to do some breeding of roses for fruit. I would be
interested in hearing if anyone else has been doing similar work.

-Mark Lee, Seattle, z7b