nafex - Re: [nafex] Growing peach seeds

  • From: davidu9999@aol.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Growing peach seeds
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:30:57 EST

Chris,

I have always planted whole peach pits and have had good germination. T.O.
Warren told me years ago that the secret seems to be not to let the stones
dry out prior to planting. Therefore, you can either plant immediately after
ripe and keep protected from varmints and they will germinate the following
spring or store in moist peat until the fall and plant out, or store in moist
peat until fall and them put into the refrigerator for their required cold
stratification until planting in the spring. If you let them dry out, it
takes two years to germinate. Of course, you can crack out the embryos and
get good germination if you are careful. I always seemed to damage more than
I saved and it is easier to just plant fresh seed.

David Ulmer

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.