nafex - Re: [nafex] Growing peach seeds

  • From: "Bill Russell" <shaman@pennswoods.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Growing peach seeds
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:29:56 -0500

Where I come from in SE PA, the oldtimers simply stick the peach seed into
the ground after they eat the peach. They believe that the best quality
peaches are grown this way. From my memory, the trees that grew from these
seeds did seem to produce the best fruit in their backyard orchards. I
suppose they were inclined to plant the seeds from particularly desirable
fruit in the first place. The seedlings that survived the rigors of the
first few years of growth were well adapted to the local conditions.

Several years ago, on a whim, I planted a peach seed on the edge of my land.
Two years ago it produced its first fruit. Last year, after thinning the
fruit early in the season, it yielded about a dozen huge fruits. My wife
excalimed that these were the best peaches she had eaten, ever. But these
were absolutely fresh peaches that WE picked from OUR tree that grew from
the seed that WE planted. So maybe the timing, ritual and pride had
something to do with our opinon of the quality.

Anyway, planting peach seeds can provide some good peach trees, cheap. Maybe
we should save all our peach seeds and plant them in unused areas around
where we live.

Bill Z5, PA