nafex - [nafex] Re: Winter Pear Ripening

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Winter Pear Ripening
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 07:41:16 -0000

--- In nafex@y..., Bob Hartman <hartmansfruittrees@w...> wrote:

I can't say anything about the cold or cool storage of pears, but for
ripening one doesn't want to get them too warm. An oldish British
book recommended 50 to 70 degrees F. except some don't like the low
temperatures near 50 degrees, so be cautious and try 60 degrees until
you have some experience with your pear varieties. Some limited
experience suggests that this book was correct. Slightly cool
ripening (dark, closed container to confine ethylene) gave delicious
Anjous (ripened after 2 months cold storage). A crock should serve
very well.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

> Hi,
>
> Where can I find a resource regarding the ripening of Winter
pears?
> Some require cold storage for a certain length of time, others do
not.
> How do you know which is which? I haven't been able to find any
> information on the ripening of Winter pears, except I have seen an
> article once about ripening D'Anjou pears by putting them in cold
> storage like 35 to 38 degrees for a certain length of time and then
> bringing them into the warm house to ripen them. What is the prime
time
> to pick Winter pears? You certainly can't pick them the same as you
> would pick the earlier ripening pears. I have picked the El Dorado
and
> put them in cold storage (refrigerator) for a period of time and
some
> years they turn out all right and other years they never ripen up
when
> brought into the warm house. I only use the El Dorado as an
example.
> My question is a general one regarding Winter pears. It is a
bummer to
> have to put them in a refrigerator for cold storage. On the other
hand
> I understand that Conference is not as particular about the cold
> storage.
>
> I just picked some beautiful pears off of a tree that was
evidently
> mislabelled. They are beautiful green pears about twice the size
of a
> Bartlett. How do I handle them?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Hartman