nafex - [nafex] CiderMakers Forum

  • From: "Vintage Virginia Apples LLC" <fruit@vintagevirginiaapples.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] CiderMakers Forum
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:16:23 -0500

We are sponsoring a meeting of ciderists and those interested in making cider
here in central Virginia and it occurred to me that there may be members of
this group in this area who would be interested in knowing of the event.

My family started planting old, unusual and hard to find apple varieties a
few years ago on our central Virginia farm and as these trees have started
to bear, we have become very interested in developing well crafted blends of
sweet and hard cider. What started as a small hobby orchard now has some 700
apple trees and over 200 varieties. We hope to determine what grows
especially well here and in an era of decreasing budgets for this kind of
experimentation in academic and commercial venues, it is intriguing to think
the results of our interests may be helpful in not only preserving heirloom
varieties, but helping identify newer varieties that do not deserve to be
overlooked. With a careful and low spray program, we are obviously going
to have a lot of less than perfect fruit and cider is the perfect outlet for
this, we think. This interest has led us to organize workshops to share the
information from which we are benefiting and we are sponsoring one on cider
making December 1st, featuring a session on apple cultivar selection for
cider, the science and mechanics of making cider and tasting some renowned
ciders such as the French ones available here. This will also be a forum
for those attending to share their experiences and perhaps some of their
ciders, should they care to do so. Registration is $10. The meeting will
be from 9 a.m. to noon, December 1, 2001 at Rural Ridge Farm, North Garden
Virginia. For more information, see www.vintagevirginiaapples.com

Best regards,

Charlotte Shelton

Vintage Virginia Apples, LLC