nafex - [nafex] Questions on grafting, autumn olive, and Surround

  • From: Kelleher@gj.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Questions on grafting, autumn olive, and Surround
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:25:05 -0000

I've been meaning to post for a few weeks now but I've put it off out
of lazyness. So now I've got several.

First, I've got a catalogue with grafting device I haven't seen
before. It consists of a cone shaped drill and a heavy duty electric
pencil sharpener. You put the end of the scion wood in the pencil
sharper and make a nice point. Then you use the drill to make a
matching hole in the host. Then you slap grafting wax around the
union. Has anyone tried one of these?

Second, I've got two autumn olive that are four years old, one yellow-
fruited one red. They have both grown well and are decent sized with
the red one being bigger. For the last couple years the yellow one
has been chloritic when it comes out. Preemergent soluble iron does
not seem to help the problem. I put on applications of folar iron
and then subsequent leaves are okay. This year the yellow one is
really sick and the red one for the first time is looking chlorotic.
Both had applications of soluble iron before the leaves came out. We
have a fertile clay soil, some alkalinity problems, but since the
autumn olives are on a slope and I flood irrigate that shouldn't be a
problem.

Third, the Surround posting mentioned incomplete control on coddling
moths. For complete control would you have to mix the diazanon with
the Surround or apply seperately. I've got asian pears and one apple
tree.

Thanks for the help!

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM