nafex - Re: [nafex] Deer Damage

  • From: "Kieran or Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Deer Damage
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 08:14:36 -0500

Don, maybe you need to start a plants rights activist group, and petition
the county govt to do something about the problem for the sake of plants,
reforestation, etc. There's a great book, weird title, somehting like
"Heart and blood" about deer overpopulation. The stories esp about 2
islands were very revealing. The native plants (there's a lot of people go
ape about protecting native flora) were being eaten into the ground, and the
Carolina island studied was losing it's stabilizing plant cover. The deer
were in poor condition too. The author said in EVERY case, the same BS had
to be gone through due to Bambi lovers. First nothing, then attempts at
catching and moving Bambi, then Bambi birth control, then if Bambi didn't
die out due to a harsh winter, finally the govt let someone shoot some
Bambi's.
I get real worked up about armchair naturalists. I like deer as much as
anyone else (esp served up at dinnertime), but life is full of harsh
realities that Bambi lovers dont' have to deal with in TV land Nature
documentaries. They don't explain on TV about how populations mushroom if
unchecked, if they did, they might get someone to applying the same math to
the human population, (which is fast approaching the crash point about now).
It's also hard to see a tick on TV. I do like deer, but I don't want so
many they have to feed on my garden, and I don't want to catch Lyme disease
from them. Donna

Free @Backup service! Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
@Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
your files online. Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.
http://click.egroups.com/1/4935/0/_/423498/_/960038468/