nafex - Re: [nafex] Deer Damage

  • From: "Gordon C. Nofs" <gcnofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Deer Damage
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 08:09:56 PDT

I had this published in one of the recent issues of Nafex, Just look thru
your capies. and of real experiences. Dr. Meader used fine sewing thread I
have since heard.
Gordon C. Nofs

*****I have had luck lately though in protecting plantings within smaller
areas,
new apple trees and garden plots, for example, by surrounding them with
monofilament fishing line, two or three strands, strung tautly between
four-foot posts. They apparently do not like the feeling of something
substantive touching them but that they cannot see.

After so many failed attempts at discouraging them, I'm way past expecting
long-term victory with this method but in almost twelve months now I've only
had two intrusions. I lost a young apple tree when one apparently stuck her
head through a three foot space between strands. And one got into the garden
one night apparently through a narrow opening I had left in the fish line
for
my ease of entry. Ate all the new growth off twenty-some roses. Times that
try men's souls.

Jack