nafex - Re: [nafex] Deer Damage

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Deer Damage
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 08:39:20 -0700

I visited Prof. Meader (he never actually got a doctorate, though he should
have been given one for his accomplishments) in 1994 and he told me (and
showed me) that he used fishing line and that it gave good results.
Deer pressure isn't quite so heavy here, so I can use egg spray with good
results. 6 eggs in a blender, with water. Blend. Put in 3 gallon sprayer
and fill the rest of the way with water. Lasts up to 6 weeks here, or when
new shoots get 6 inches beyond the sprayed areas. Humans can't see or smell
the stuff, but egg has a sulfur compound in it that is close enough to the
deer alarm scent that they won't eat anything with it on. And if feeding
pressure isn't really intense, they will avoid sprayed areas altogether.
-Lon Rombough