msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider 10 Essentials List

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Finkle" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider 10 Essentials List
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 10:03:26 -0400

Thanks Una,

I prefer to reference the 10 Essentials List provided by National Park
Service, which is also recommended for one-day hikers
http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/upload/Hiking-Tips.pdf

You are correct; the SAR demographics of each state is different. However,
the majority of States now have a minimum required
equipment list that all SAR responders should carry within their area of
jurisdiction. For those of us who are trained MSAR
responders, I am attempting to identify what is suggested be carried on your
person while deployed on horseback (rather than what is
carried on the horse).

Personally as a search manager, I will write tasks to include (non-SAR
trained) spontaneous volunteers if directed by the local AHJ
IC. However it would not be the first can of worms that I would open from my
SAR tool box. In the event there was a shortage of
trained SAR responders, then of course I would use the type of individuals
you referenced.

Thanks again,

T'mi