msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider 10 Essentials List

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Finkle" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider 10 Essentials List
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 21:08:08 -0400

After reading the response to Chris, it appears that some folks may not
understand the primary purpose of the ten essentials list
(request).

This list of 10 is not about what you carry on the horse, or your normal SAR
gear or individual specific items such as glasses and
meds while deployed. It is a basic (minimum) list (to be carried on a
person) of resources to be draw from should a rider become
alone and without SAR Gear. It is also a list that an AHJ can reference and
provide to spontaneous mounted volunteers that have
zero SAR training. How many times have you seen photos of someone mounted on
horseback (during MSAR training or on a search) with
nothing more than a ball cap?

Most outdoor type groups have already developed a 10 essentials list and
conduct research to update data;
http://equipped.outdoors.org/2013/06/how-many-hikers-carry-ten-essentials-in.html
<http://equipped.outdoors.org/2013/06/how-many-hikers-carry-ten-essentials-in.html>
The original Ten Essentials list was assembled
in the 1930s by The Mountaineers
<http://www.mountaineers.org/ScriptContent/default.cfm> , a Seattle-based
organization for climbers
and outdoor adventurers. Please think of the 10 essentials list and not
what's in your SAR/MSAR packs or vehicles.

Nowadays just about all MSAR teams deploy in a minimum of two riders per TAF
tasking. The likelihood that your partner and mount get
struck by lightening or falls off a cliff and your horse runs away is very
remote. If very basic safety planning of what should be
carried on a person when on horseback; if this is not an issue in your region
than that is fine too. Some States (and local AHJ's)
already have an established of a minimum essentials list as well as SAR gear,
many AHJ's simply leave it up to the teams.
Fortunately for MSAR responders, the TAF will tell the Planning Chief what
area you should be in and what route you most likely took
to your task area, so assistance coming to your aid, should less than 24
hours away. It's a known fact the level of training and
field experience for MSAR teams runs from; below minimally trained or
equipped to those holding an exceptional rating.

With regards to some of today's questions:

A poncho protects from rain, snow and wind. A space blanket protects from
the cold, protects from the sun's heat and can also be
used as a reflective signaling device. A flashlight beam shining on a space
blanket can turn a small beam of light into a 3 foot
oval. beacon.

Cellphones do not work in many wilderness areas and have a very short battery
life in the field. Using a cell phone as a signaling
device will drain the battery in a very short time, compared to using a led
flashlight.

Simple band aids from a first aid kit can do more than reduce bleeding, they
can be used to attach a space blanket to a poncho for
making a water collection device.

Energy/nutrition bars by the ingredients are generally higher in calories,
which aids in the body's endurance and the stability of a
person. It also provides a comfort source to help with keeping a person calm.

During a fall, a fixed blade knife has been known to cut through its sheath
and lacerate the thigh. I have personally not heard of a
horse being cut in this manner, but I am guessing it's happened . Many EMT
type folding knives have a thumb bar that is designed for
one hand opening.

A fire makes a great visual and scent attracting device. The use of a
controlled campfire does not normally cause wildland fires
(discarded cigarettes and arson are the primary causes). It should be noted
that some hikers have set wildland fires as a signaling
device (this occurred in 2009 by lost subject Ken Knight).

I thank everyone for sharing their comments, some great items were addressed!

T'mi