msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted search on White Sands National Monument

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted search on White Sands National Monument
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:35:54 -0500

The White Sands are extremely difficult terrain to work. While it appears to
be a sand dessert it is not. The "sand" shifts and blows more than most,
obliterating tracks quickly. The surface is often very reflective and
conditions similar to snow blindness can develop quickly. The climatic
extremes between night and day are also dramatic.

Depending on where you are in the region there may be man made dangers as
well in the form of un-cleared ranges- White Sands was used and is still
used as a range for the Army, missiles and artillery now, bombs and bomb
aimer training in WW2 and Korea.

As with any search you use all the tools you have, all the time. In the
dessert or similar area infrared or night vision may only be useful at night
when the ground cools. We once worked a forest job where there was no air
movement until the temperature dropped below the day's high of 100F. We
started using dogs and horses when the sun went down and the temperature
rapidly dropped to 80F and convective currents started up.

The Navy has found that medium blue works well with current night vision
goggles. I prefer no lights at all, and my horse doesn't care but he works
better without supplemental light.

If you are working in conjunction with FLIR or other infrared based night
vision having the searchers wear a distinctive pattern on their vests is
useful to the infrared equipped as it differentiates them from the subject.
This should be passive as opposed to active emission.
And your horse probably knows where he is relative to the base than you do.