msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted search on White Sands National Monument

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted search on White Sands National Monument
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 17:07:02 -0700

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 05:58:44PM -0500, emboote@aol.com wrote:
>How do you address with the concern about destroying evidence or
>missing evidence at night?

Evidence searches are important but generally are not urgent. So if
good light is a concern, the search should be delayed until there is
good light.

Searching for and following tracks and other sign often is easier
to do at night than during daylight because the searcher (tracker)
controls the amount and angle of illumination and contrast is very
high.

Air scenting often is favorable at night, for reasons Irv mentioned
already in this thread, and for other reasons as well.

Finally, many SAR missions have very high urgency. I participated
in a night search back in November for a teen wearing cotton jeans,
T-shirt, and sweatshirt, who had eaten nothing since breakfast. At
4:30 AM the temperature was 23F (-5C). Waiting for daylight could
have meant the difference between life and death for this subject.
We had searchers on horseback; searchers moving on foot using sound
and light attraction; searchers stationed in vehicles using sound
and light attraction; searchers stationed on a mesa rim above the
search area scanning the area with night vision spotting scopes;
searchers in aircraft with night vision equipment. The aircraft
spotted a searcher on horseback who wore a chemical glow stick but
did not spot the subject, who had no light.

The searchers on the mesa rim were wildlife rangers with a Native
American tribe, on their tribal land. There are no roads on the mesa
so in all likelihood they got to their stations on ATV or horseback.

The subject walked out the following morning, which is what often
happens.

When I work at night I carry a light but I rarely use it. I use it
most often to read a map. If the subject is expected to be wearing
something reflective and to be nonresponsive, I may use the light to
sweep for a reflection. I remain far better oriented in the terrain
and therefore can travel off trail faster, if I do not use a light.