msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hello, MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Lila Corey" <Caballera@embarqmail.com>
  • To: <rick@westcoastframe.com>, "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hello, MSAR
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:51:03 -0500

I think there is a big difference between "desensitized" and introverted horse personality. I have 3 desensitized horses that are great when it comes to letting you know what is around you - people, deer, turket etc..... however, they are calm around bicycles, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, helicopters, etc. On the trail they are usually the first in the group to "cue" me that something or someone is amiss...... my interoverted horse actually became more alert and alerted me to more when I worked on desensitizing him in the proper manner.
If the wind picks up a plastic bag and it shoots in front of him he stops, faces it, accesses it and goes on, however, if someone or something strange is coming or nearby, he alerts me to it with his ears and head, not acting like an idiot.

Lila
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Tracy" <rick@westcoastframe.com>