msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hello, MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: emboote@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hello, MSAR
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:27:22 -0500

From my experience with several MSAR horses, I firmly believe it is irresponsible NOT to do desensitization training. Now, it seems that there may be a difference in what the definition of desensitization is within this group. To me, it is creating a safety level where my horse can go into any situation and I can work off of them. Whether that is answering a radio or reading a map while trains and traffic go by, or crossing a stream and seeing deer or navigating rocky mountain passes. My horses must perform safely in both security and urban situations, as well as MSAR duties. They know when they are in my world and they need to rely on me. They also know when we're in their world...the mountains, fields, woods, etc., and I need to rely on their instincts. I can't tell you how they know the difference, but they switch it on and off. I can read their ears and body language one way in a city, and another in the mountains. It comes from experience, horsemanship, and learning rider to horse and horse to rider.

Emily Boote

-----Original Message-----
From: Lila Corey <Caballera@embarqmail.com>
To: rick@westcoastframe.com; Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Mon, Jan 24, 2011 5:51 pm

I think there is a big difference between "desensitized" and introverted horse personality. I have 3 desensitized horses that are great when it comes to letting you know what is around you - people, deer, turket etc..... however, they are calm around bicycles, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, helicopters, etc. On the trail they are usually the first in the group to "cue" me that something or someone is amiss...... my interoverted horse actually became more alert and alerted me to more when I worked on desensitizing him in the proper manner.
If the wind picks up a plastic bag and it shoots in front of him he stops, faces it, accesses it and goes on, however, if someone or something strange is coming or nearby, he alerts me to it with his ears and head, not acting like an idiot.

Lila
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Tracy" <rick@westcoastframe.com