msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hello, MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lois Guyon <laguyon2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hello, MSAR
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:57:38 -0800 (PST)

Sherrel,

Any method of training for MSAR horses that will produce a quiet responsive
animal will do. MSAR horses need to be able to deal with a wide variety of
environments. Think about what happens when you have the search dogs out.
There are emergency vehicles, people of all sorts, dogs, airplanes, etc. The
horse must be able to work without becoming upset by these distractions. Use
your imagination and introduce the horses to strange things. I took mine to
the

train station, for example.

The archives of this list are a great resource for all you need to know about
MSAR. Welcome to the world of mounted searching.

Lois