msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Making contacts

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Making contacts
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:11:28 -0700

Irvin Lichtenstein wrote:
>I have had one such reply from a Pony Club officer who didn't understand
>that by placing her information in the US Pony Club directory people might
>want to contact her.

Yes, that has happened to me too. It is the other side of the coin:
contact name and phone given, but the contact person is not prepared
to be contacted.

>SEPASAR does not have a web presence because somebody parked on the obvious
>URL-- SEPASAR.ORG with a dummy SAR directory page.

I saw that and wondered about it. How annoying for you! I wish more
state SAR associations would include a web page in the benefits they
provide to their member teams. That would go a long way toward making
better communication among teams. They are planning to do it in Maine.
Not just a link to a page or site maintained elsewhere, but an actual
page.

In New Mexico, the state SAR volunteer council lists[1] all teams
that are in the state Resource Directory. The Resource Directory,
hundreds of pages long, is a confidential document compiled by the
SAR Resource Office of the New Mexico Department of Public Safety and
distributed only to qualified NM SAR logistics section chiefs, field
coordinators, and area commanders. (As a planning section chief, I
do not get a copy.) SAR teams that are not in the Resource Directory
will not get called for missions. The council lists only public
information for those teams, but its list includes teams that are not
members of the council. I think it is very constructive of the
council to include all teams (and I had no part in doing it :-).

Irv, how come SEPASAR isn't listed on the PSARC site? I see one team
is listed without any link.[2] Not super useful, but it does help readers
discover that the team exists. I really like the PSARC team locator
map.[3] It labels the map with each team's name and phone number.

[1] http://www.nmesc.org/resources.htm
[2]
http://www.psarc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36&Itemid=15
[3] http://www.psarc.org/images/Team%20Map.pdf