msar-riders - [MSAR] North Georgia MSAR (USA), navigation training, bylaws

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] North Georgia MSAR (USA), navigation training, bylaws
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:32:18 -0700

Steve de Lyra wrote:
> We don't have any sponsoring
>organization yet, but we have the support for the concept from our local
>emergency services chief. In our case they want us to show them we are a
>trained, functional unit before we can be used as a resource and possibly
>come under their insurance coverage.

Sounds good. Sounds like you should be thinking ahead to running your
own mock search, and inviting your county EMS to observe.

> Our first training session in land
>navigation was postponed due to foul weather

Sorry to hear that. A lot of training can be done indoors. Please get
in touch with the Georgia orienteering club to ask them about training.

Reading a map is a far more complex skill set than many people realize.
Indoors, with "table top" exercises, training can focus on the map, and
on using the compass and map together. When I teach land nav I like to
start by reviewing navigation aids: aiming off, contouring, handrails,
catching features, attack points, etc. Then I hand out copies of a map
of an unfamiliar place, with some points marked, and the students plan
and draw on the map what they think would be the best route from point
to point. Then we discuss their route choices, and how well each route
makes use of navigation aids. All of this is best done indoors, before
any field exercise. It enables the instructor to learn who has a good
grasp of navigation and who does not; who needs reading glasses (and
needs to carry them on horseback, else they won't be able to use map,
compass, or GPS in the field); who does not have an adequate compass,
etc.

>I would like to ask the officers of MSAR units for their web sites so we can
>look at them for ideas, and also to send copies of their by-laws.

Over 300 MSAR websites are listed on http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/

A quick Google search for "bylaws mounted search rescue" turned up the
following, on just the first two pages of results:

http://www.bcmsar.com/PDF/BCMSAR%20Bylaws.pdf
http://www.pmsar.org/Documents/BY%20LAWS.pdf
http://www.chinomountedposse.com/bylaws.htm
http://www.mendocinosar.org/bylaws.html
http://www.dcsmposse.com/forms/DCSMPBylawsFinal050203.doc
http://www.lincolncountysheriff.net/posse/Lcmsp_by_laws_new.10_7_2003.pdf

Steve, do you have Irv's CD? It is free and it includes a lot of team
resource documents contributed by MSAR teams around the world.