msar-riders - [MSAR] Recruiting and developing more qualified MSAR volunteers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Recruiting and developing more qualified MSAR volunteers
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:17:43 -0700

Many people join MSAR teams only to discover, sometimes only months
or years later, that they do not want to be involved in search and
rescue. This happens here on MSAR-Riders too, only faster. Being
our listadmin (not moderator!), I see some people subscribe but after
the first open discussion of what we do, they unsubscribe. Sometimes
they even e-mail me to explain MSAR is not what they imagined it to
be. On the whole, I think learning a little about MSAR from lurking
on MSAR-Riders is a good thing. It saves all parties valuable time,
money, and effort.

Everyone: You can help to recruit more new and qualified volunteers
to your team by introducing your team here on MSAR-Riders. Who can
read MSAR-Riders for long without learning that mounted search and
rescue is first and foremost about search and rescue, not games on
horseback? And that search and rescue involves someone's life and
death emergency, getting a call in the middle of the night, giving
up work or family time or recreation to ride in miserable weather,
and sometimes witnessing or othewise experiencing horrors that can
cause you lasting personal distress.

Team training officers: I encourage you to ask your new recruits to
join us on MSAR-Riders. They need not post; lurkers are welcome to
lurk. Lurk and learn.

  • [MSAR] Recruiting and developing more qualified MSAR volunteers, Una Smith, 01/25/2010