msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] treatment protocols

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] treatment protocols
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:56:40 -0500

If a hypothermic patient is still conscious and sufficiently coherent to accept fluids, and to do it themselves (core temp is barely depressed) maybe you will get away with it.  Administering anything as a treatment beyond Oxygen is usually outside the scope of practice of an EMT-B.  An AED is a heart monitor by the way.  Our BLS protocol says pack’em up, ship them to an ALS capable facility, without spot warming of any kind, anywhere.  Complications, such as frostbite or reduced extremity warmth, pulse, or circulation we stay away from also, because the field treatments for these are contraindicated by the hypothermia.  Depending on where the subject is found, they may have hours of “lug out” to get to a road or LZ and may actually cook the way some wrap them up in sleeping bags and foil in the Stokes.  Use of any device, medical or otherwise, beyond blankets, is also outside the scope of practice at present.

One of the problems is that warming is a treatment for frostbite, but should not be attempted in the field for hypothermia. The definition of hypothermia is also constantly changing in terms of how cold the patient is and how the temp was taken.  This lack of uniformity in treatment is what allegedly lead to our state’s EMS bureau now requiring all wilderness SAR to become licensed special operations EMS providers within 2 years from now, and get some doctor who is crazy enough to be our medical director signed on as well. First aid is out, BLS is in around here.

Vasodilation causes the blood vessels to enlarge causing a huge increase in blood volume required to maintain flow and pressure levels.  The form of shock is hypovolemic (sp?) and is similar to bleeding out, without the blood loss.  It can also happen during the body’s reaction to any trauma where blood volume changes rapidly.

Irv Lichtenstein

SE PA SAR