msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] People Boots

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Kate Beardsley <katebeardsley@hotmail.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] People Boots
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:39:59 +0000

For what its worth:
I ride in hiking boots. Whatever kind fits me well and supports me when I hike. The kind that have strong ankle support and a deep tread for great traction when I'm on foot.  I feel that being equipped with good hiking footwear is critical when on SAR missions. We never know when we'll end up on foot for an extended period.

Now I realize that many people can go on and on about the need for smooth leather soles to meet safety criteria. Safety is important! But instead of changing my footwear, I change my stirrups. I have smooth metal stirrups on my saddles so that I can wear safe functional footwear and still maintain a high safety level. This way, if I end up riding several miles before dismounting to perform some, say, tracking duties, I have no need to change footwear. And I'm a SmartWool fan, so  there's no doubt about what kind of socks I wear.

Safe Trails,
Kate

"We are what we repeatedly do."

Kate Beardsley