msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mules for MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Finkle" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mules for MSAR
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:36:23 -0400

We have one mule on TROTSAR that is a certified MSAR mount and is used for mission deployments.  While I personally have never owned a mule, I have tested nearly 200 equines during horse and rider evaluations, I quickly learned over the years that mules were much more versatile than I had ever realized. From my observation, look for both the good and bad qualities/confirmation in a mule (as you would look for in any horse) if your goal is to use the mule as a potential MSAR mount.  The best place that I learned about mules was attending a local Mule Day event and had the opportunity to speak with (mule) folks in person. Mule Day events are held throughout the USA and Canada.  A possible of source of more mule information in your State is the Kansas Draft Horse and Mule Club <http://members.cox.net/kdhma>

T’mi

www.trotsar.org

On Behalf Of ALLEN SNYDER
Subject: [MSAR] Mules for MSAR

How many of you own and use mules for search work?   I have only worked with horses for about 28 years and have been learning about horse mounted work for about 2 years.  There are some great qualities mules have that may be very advantageous, but I would appreciate resources  and what to avoid.  Thank you.

 Dana S.  in Kansas