msar-riders - [MSAR] Barefoot vs shod

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: The Hitchn Post <hitchnup@msn.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Barefoot vs shod
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:33:41 -0700

I keep all my horse's barefoot and we live in a rocky area (Southern Utah) I may take a pair of boots on a search with me just in case.

To keep your horses feet healthy he has to be able to walk, horses that stay in stalls or paddocks don't do well barefoot, the foot tins to spread out.
If your horse can move freely he is working his feet keeping proper blood flow.
My horses are kept in pastures I keep the water on one side and feed on the other in deferent places so they have to move about to eat or drink.
Our pastures have rock, dirt, and Cedar Trees the same with most of the terrain we search in. So my horses feet stay in good shape.

Hope this helps,
Pam Williams