msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Barefoot vs shod

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chris Noon" <rkymtnsly@3rivers.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Barefoot vs shod
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:14:13 -0700

This question has gone on for a longer time than we will be able to find a solution for. I think it boils down to a common question.  “If” your animal goes lame, or compromises their ability to perform the mission given, is it worth the risk?  I live in the Rocky Mountains, and travel some distance in the use of my horse. I usually have a pack horse to carry extra gear I might need, or to bring a victim out.  Because of our terrain, I will also use it as a fresh mount if the need presents itself. Bottom line, if my horse threatens the mission in any way, I have let the team down, and possibly jeopardized the safety of the person or persons we are out there for.  To summarize, use common sense, know your animal and the applications in which you are going to apply both.  The Boy Scout in me tries to always, “be prepared”.   Thanks for my two cents, Chris