msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Joe Bigley <jsbigley@mindspring.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>, msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:17:40 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Hi Lana - it depends alot on where you ride...I do my riding in the rocky mountains, often on pretty rocky, steep terrain...I put shoes on the front and leave the back bare...all except one of my horses who has soft, easily cracked hooves...she gets shoes on all four feet...of course, with the snow we get, I pull all the shoes in the winter else the horses get "snow balls" in their hooves...

I do have one horse, well ttrained but was from south Texas and brought up in an arena...always had four shoes on with hooves trimmed real short...it took about 2 years before his feet were tough enough to go barefoot...try riding barefoot - your horses will let you know if their feet are sore...they'll shy away from rocky roads and other areas that are bothersome...Joe.