msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] What Rick Maxon wants to learn

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] What Rick Maxon wants to learn
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:54:54 -0600

What Felicia Browell says about spontaneous (she means untrained)
volunteers having the potential to compromise the search, or get
themselves in trouble, is true. But the reality is that in some
parts of the world spontaneous (I mean unaffiliated) volunteers
are the only help there is. The good news is that in those places
such volunteers generally are very self-sufficient and may also
have signficant experience that is relevant to participating in
a SAR mission. And good experience (in my experience) is better
than good training.