msar-riders - [MSAR] What Rick Maxon wants to learn

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] What Rick Maxon wants to learn
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:57:08 -0600

Rick Maxson wrote:
>I own a horse and would like to sign up, get training etc.. :) Rick

Rick, where in the world are you? We can help you better if we
know that. You can be a spontaneous volunteer, meaning you wait
for a public appeal for help, and just show up. Or you can join
an established MSAR or SAR team, train with them, and respond
with the team when called by authorities. If we know where you
are, we can help you connect with a local team or someone who is
putting one together.

You can get a head start by reading up about SAR. In New Mexico,
which has a formal certification for individual SAR field team
members, new SAR volunteers get these to read:

http://www.nmesc.org/FieldCert_docs/StudyGuide.pdf
http://www.nmesc.org/FieldCert_docs/ICS-100.pdf

There are some books too. If you are in a mountain area, there
are books about mountain rescue. Another is "Fundamentals of
Search and Rescue" by Don Cooper. You can get it online from a
variety of sources, including Amazon.com.