msar-riders - [MSAR] :* HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING - What would you do if you

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] :* HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING - What would you do if you
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:27:36 -0700 (PDT)

Responding to

Message: 8
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:29:40 -0400
From: "Felicia Browell" <felicia.browell@gmail.com>
    werelost! And what would you do if you were an MSAR!
To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

Rick, Karen,

This is a good start to a potentially great thread ...

Some ideas and parameters ...

   - Lost person is not in a city ... let's take current weather pattern --
   but where?  Where's a likely place?  Eastern Tennessee or western KY?
   Central PA?
   - Woodsy, big fields, big hills?
   - Early morning alert or evening?
   - Lost person (wandered away, older, dementia)?  Airplane down?

Lots of possibilities -- I have no experience with MSAR.  Like Rick, I
joined to learn ...
How about we pick two scenarios and tackle them separately ... one typical,
one unlikely (might help expose possible questions and learning
opportunities)...

Felicia
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Rick Maxson <rickmaxson@comcast.net>wrote:

>  Ok let me start over.  I was searching for information on how to help
> with Search and <snip>

Felicia, it's your guys thread, carry this how you want!  I had several contact me off list.  I hope they repost our conversations here.  My goal in the  idea of this thread was to get people to put themselves in a subjects shoes.. and tell us what they would do if they were a victim  say of a certain age etc and what they would do if they were an MSAR seaerching fo rthat particular person...its your chance to share your knowledge of what you would do if!
  If you have an area that you have expertise in to share information on, go for it!   Say you search better at night, give us tips!   Some people are trackers, others are just helpers  each on the team has a method, idea or comment.  Some may have a better feel for desert searching, where others are in the midwest...hills, woods, farmland searching etc!

If you live in KY and have comments on terrain that would benefit someone in New Mexico,  describe your terrain.  Each of us has the potential to be a victim... so if we were lost, what would we do.  Same too ok, each of us are searchers...Pick your mind.. put yourself in the shoes of say a child.. or an alzhiemers sufferer or whomever..... share your feelings and what you think might be a clue how to locate such!  Those are just some examples..remember, we are on horseback when we search...!  And this is  all hypothetically speaking.  It is your chance to talk on grey areas you may need help in.

(Hey, I am just trying to spur you guys on... share the wealth of info we all have!)   I am a bored rancher today too dang stiff and tired to go for a ride and always hoping and praying no one is really out there where anyone NEEDs to go looking!  Besides that its ccccold!)

Just grab this thread and someone will comment back, it's everyones venture... I am just opening the door to its conversation!  Trying to ever hone skills and learn too!

Karen