msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Search Report

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: una.smith@att.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Search Report
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 11:18:59 +0000

Like Chris, I live in very high relief terrain. Communication dead spots are
a familiar problem. But it has been my experience that the worst terrain for
dead spots is low rolling hills in rural areas. There, demand for cell and
radio repeater coverage is low and relative high points that would provide
good coverage are scant.

Chris describes two separate problems that interact. One problem is the
presence of these dead spots. The other problem is the temporary lack of a
communications modality during the initial phase of a search. In Chris's
case, there was a dead spot on public safety radio, that hadamateur radio
coverage but IC had not yet set up amateur radiocapability for that search.

Dead spots can be filled by deploying a repeater on the ground or in the air.
Or by having the ability to use multiple communications modes: public
safety radio, amateur radio, cell phone, satellite phone. Those modes have
different propagation and, generally, ground stations are on separate towers,
so that some radio dead spots have cell phone coverage, and vice versa.

Lack of resources, however transient, is a feature of initial search periods.
That is one reason why initial hasty search tasks should be assigned to
experienced field teams.

Andrew has given several good tactics for dealing with dead spots. Here are
some more. Your team's comm person can record the time, sender, and summary
of all radio transmissions sent *and* received, even if not meant for your
team. It helps if your comm person also notes in the comm log your team's
location at set time points and the time at which your team reaches key
locations. A check of the radio comm log can then reveal your passage
through likely dead spots that you were not aware of at the time. When you
check in, you can tell IC you have heard no comm since time N. This helps IC
know what information you may be lacking. Also, you can plan your route or,
if you have no route choice, plan where to try to make comm contact with IC
or with another field team that can relay a message to IC for you.

OB-MSAR: keeping a legible written log while on horseback can be difficult.
I have found it very helpful to keep the log on a PDA, which I can operate
even while the horse moves out. It is especially nice to use a data logging
application that automatically records the time as you record an entry. The
downside of a PDA is the risk of it dying.