msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Search Report

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Andrew Hennell" <ahennell@gmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Search Report
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 09:42:36 +1000

>From our SOPs currently being developed...

If you know you're entering a 'dead zone', then extra caution needs to be taken to ensure a planned route is lodged with search HQ, that a call-in time is established*, and that the team carries 'attention seeking devices' such as EPIRB and/or flares. Call-in may involve a vehicle/horse moving to a high point with good visability of the search area and conducting a check of all who are out there are a pre-set time. Oh, and ensure the team is self-sufficient with food/water/shelter/first-aid for a minimum of 36hrs just incase.

Satellite phones are handy, but rather exepensive (at least in Australia) and still may not work in the deepest/steepest of valleys.

Cheers,
Andrew
(establishing MSAR in ACT/NSW Australia)