msar-riders - [MSAR] Search Report

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Search Report
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 11:54:57 -0500 (CDT)

We've had a busy year already! Our local SAR units have had MANY call outs
this year for missing and delayed hikers. Most have had happy endings, but
sadly not all.

Got a call at 4PM yesterday for another one. This time they requested mounted
teams. Considering we live in the middle of a wilderness area and the Pacific
Crest Trail goes right through here- mounted is often called when the ice is
gone.

The last few days the weather has been strange. We were having snow flurries
all day and the temps didnt' get much above 35F. Not ideal riding weather-
but hey, searches rarely are! We were able to deploy 8 members within an
hour. That's from first call to arrival at command post. Pretty good time
with horses in our rural valley. We've been working hard on reducing our
call-out time and it seems to be successful. By the time they deployed us to
trail head (45 min up a rough dirt road) we were losing the light quickly. We
did a hasty search and covered quite a bit of ground. The fog was rolling in
and snow flurries continued. Certainly made us all thankful that we are
prepared for all weather eventualities in our area!

The subject was found alive and well many miles past where she was supposed
to be. There is an official detour on the trail through a burned area and she
missed her turn off. She wasn't found by us but alls well that ends well!!!
It's ALWAYS pleasant to come back in to a happy ending!!

One thing that was an issue for us was our radio contact. It's pretty steep
mountainy area and our radios were not functioning correctly. I had my HAM
with me, which could have hit the local repeater, but Command Post did not
have one. On more prolonged searches command post sets a repeater for our
radios AND has a HAM station set up as well. It's just initial/short term
searches that don't have this capability.

Anyway- for those who also have tough terrain. How do you all deal with
radio contact?

Chris Pennington