msar-riders - [MSAR] GPS and Hay

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] GPS and Hay
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:27:27 -0800 (PST)

Responding to:

Message: 11
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:00:45 -0700
From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
Subject: [MSAR] GPS key features list
To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Hello MSAR-Riders,

Important features in a GPS for use on horseback?  This is becoming a
frequently asked question.  Here is my short list:

Large display
Large text
Big buttons
Safety strap
Holster
Good reception when held +/- vertical (in pommel bag or on your belt)
On/off button/switch not proud
Optional:  lockout feature, so you don't change settings by accident

Many other features are great to have on horseback (I especially
like the speedometer feature), but these days you'll find them on all
GPS units.

Additions, comments, questions?

-------------------------------------

Una,

Just wanting to know what type of GPS units people have tried or if there is a specific brand recommended.

Just for sake of discussion, the Unit for GPS we use in our tow vehicle is a Garmin C330 Street Pilot.  It is somewhat trucker friendly, but portable, nice screen, nice buttons, well lite, can be hand held, used for walking and would assume riding.   Ours "talks" so that may or may not be an attribute on horseback, but great for driving!  I am assuming the unit might be too primative as far as GPS goes, but still would be a kick to use for practice and for anyone wanting to try their skills or for those jsut havig an interest in MSAR activities, but not ready to get involved.

Also to offer another peice of input, some of the mobile telephones are coming out with GPS in them... would this be practical?  I think it could be due to a two in one item that has such usefulness!  AND being so small to carry on a horse.  Problems I see though as with any cell phone is usign it while on the horse!  Sometimes to hands are needed to operate the phone and on a fidgety horse, well, wa'll know the drill there!

Cell phones of today have so much capabilty with email, texting, and of course the phone communications themselves.  But not all cell phones are adequate.  Phones like the TRAC PHONE, while nice, easy to use propose several problems, they have dead zones and sometimes getting the cards to keep their minutes up are a pain while traveling.  Other issues with cell phones lie in the carriers service, things like roaming, long distance, local and international charges.. also vary considerably from company to company.

If someone has a cell phone with GPS installed or have used their vehicles GPS, please share your experiences!  Let us know your providers too so we all can compare notes!

Update on  the Watseka flood disaster staus - the town is still in need of donations both monetary and of food goods, anyone wishing to contribute can contact the First United Methodist Church of Watseka or the  Watseka area local Red Cross.  The town suffered its second disaster status flood about a month ago and there are still many families here that are in need.  I can also provide off list, more details on that.

Lastly, I am in a desperate situation here again with hay.  Once again we are getting down to the wire on supplies if it for 11 horses.  Anyone that can help, please do let me know and email me with HAY in your subject line back to me.  We are looking for donated hay and I will provide more details to you.  I am also looking to compile a list of sources to where to get hay from.  Please contact me.

Karen Nesbitt
VMSAR
Iroquois County - Illinois
spanishequines (at) yahoo (dot) com