msar-riders - [MSAR] SAREX 2008, training opportunity in May in Southern IL

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Dana Mc <k9preydrive@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] SAREX 2008, training opportunity in May in Southern IL
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:11:35 -0800 (PST)

SAREX 2008

Southern Illinois near Carbondale , Illinois and Giant City State Park

Host:

Little Egypt Search And Rescue (LESAR)

When: May 16, 17, 18

Where: Methodist Camp on Little Grassy Lake, just South of Carbondale, IL

Price: TBA (but we hope to keep it low due to our attendees being
mostly volunteers!)

Instructors: TBA

(See www.lesar.org for more details)

Mornin folks,

Little Egypt Search And Rescue (LESAR) is hosting a weekend long seminar this
spring, dubbed SAREX 2008.

We are asking everyone within the sound of our voices (or email as it
happens to be) to provide input, materials and/or personnel for this
endeavor.

Our area is not devoid of training opportunities, nor is it devoid of
responders. What we are hoping to accomplish, even on a small scale,
is to bring as many of you together, bring quality training to us
all, and familiarize you with similar training and techniques as the
rest of your fellow responders will have. If nothing else, to
see/hear another team or individual's point of view, and to take a
little bit with you when you go home.

This will most likely be a two or three day event with unheated (in
the winter) /uncooled (in the summer) cabins and nearby tent camping
available. Motels are with in 10 minutes.

The location is on Little Grassy Lake at the Methodist Camp within minutes of Carbondale , IL .

Some of the things we've heard from responders in surrounding areas
about other local and not so local seminars, conferences and
trainings are that "It's too far away", "I've been there and done
that", "I've been doing this for years, I don't think (it) has
anything for me", "it's too cold/hot/wet/ etc".

So, we'd like to offer something in Springtime, offering a weekend of
training closer to people that may not be able to make other
seminars, and have many of our classes revolve around more of a
Intermediate or Advance level of training, giving our vetern SAR
people something new and different.

This event will NOT leave the "newbie" out of the equation. On the
contrary, we hope this draws the new person's interest to many groups
and agencies BECAUSE of what they gain and learn during the SAREX.

We'd like to see a few things available to those that attend:

-Training from knowledgeable and experienced people.
-Vendors with their wares available for purchase and demo
-In-field exercises to practice skills being taught.

Please consider the following and reply.
-What would YOU as a responder like to see as far as classes?
-What would you like to see your team have for classes?
-What do you think the Southern IL or surrounding area is lacking in
its Emergency Response "tool bag" and how could this be intergrated
into our SAREX?
-What other trainings, demos and vendors would you like to see at the
event?

If you know of trainers that would be willing to give of themselves
for a day or two to bring our awareness and training up a notch or
two, please pass this on and ask them how they could contribute.

Topics of training we're setting up  (feel free to add to these):

Ground Search
Disaster
Confined Space/Mine/Cave Rescue
Technical Rescue
Knot Course
Mantracking
K9 (all disciplines)
K9 Behavior
Scent Theory
Obedience for SAR K9s (CGC probably too)
Emergency K9 Medicine
Survival
Basic Radio Class
Ham (demonstrate APRS system)
Radio Finding Equipment demos
Critical Incident Stress Management
Vendors willing to come set up small booths with SAR related gear
(this was done in CA at conferences I went to with vendors selling
gear at discount prices)
Classes we'd like to see arranged:
Mounted SAR
Search Management
Lost Person Behavior
Managing the Lost Person Incident
Local dangerous and useful flora and fauna

We will be looking for a low cost event for people to attend. This is
not a fundraising venture.

Thank you for any useful input you may contribute.

Sincerely,

LESAR

  • [MSAR] SAREX 2008, training opportunity in May in Southern IL, Dana Mc, 02/27/2008