msar-riders - [MSAR] GPS key features list

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] GPS key features list
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:00:45 -0700

Hello MSAR-Riders,

Important features in a GPS for use on horseback? This is becoming a
frequently asked question. Here is my short list:

Large display
Large text
Big buttons
Safety strap
Holster
Good reception when held +/- vertical (in pommel bag or on your belt)
On/off button/switch not proud
Optional: lockout feature, so you don't change settings by accident

Many other features are great to have on horseback (I especially
like the speedometer feature), but these days you'll find them on all
GPS units.

Additions, comments, questions?