msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS and Hay - My ideal one

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Thor Burfine" <thor@cpcinc.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS and Hay - My ideal one
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:27:10 -0600

I'm interested. I am actually looking for a new one

Here is my ideal one

1  - Big screen
2  - Long battery life
3  - Water/Weather proof
4  - Survive a drop of at least 6 ft onto concrete (prefer 10ft)
5  - download tracks to laptop
6  - upload maps from laptop
7  - a "slave" device (a smaller unit I can mount on my ATV or saddle bag)
            so if I get away from either I can get back to it easy, kind of like a small beacon transmitter
8  - Bluetooth enabled to talk to laptop and other GPS units
9  - lockout code like a cell phone has so I don't mess up my settings
10 - a recall alarm (any other unit of same model on same freq. can sound recall)
11 - safety orange or 5 mile green in color
12 - small flashing light I can turn on at night so when I drop it I can find it without wasting time
13 - a screamer whistle that sounds 3 times waits 10 seconds and does it again
        until turned off (push a button and a panic alarm goes off)
14 - no bigger than current models
15 - less than $350.00

16 - (never happen but hey...) a "The victim is that way" arrow (will pay a few grand for that feature)