msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS issue

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Robert Eversole at Turtletop Farm" <robert@turtletopfarm.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS issue
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:16:54 -0500

Lois,

Thank you very much. A lot of sweat and a little blood have gone into them!

Each map is created by taking a survey grade GPS unit down the trail either horseback (my preferred method), hiking, or mountain bike (ouch) and recording trail metadata. It’s a slow ride.

Data is then incorporated into area topography, hydrography, roads, boundary’s etc. using professional mapping software.

I got tired of trying to follow lousy park maps and getting “unfound” so I started creating my own. One thing led to another and that’s www.TrailQwest.com ! Just added three employees so check back often for new maps.

Thanks, again for the interest, I have a lot of fun with it and hope that it’s providing better information than what may otherwise have been available.

If you have off forum type questions or comments you can catch me at Robert@trailqwest.com.

Robert