msar-riders - [MSAR] GPS issue

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] GPS issue
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:50:16 -0800

Hi all, I got a nice new Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Nice unit in general. Expandable memory card that includes topo's for the US and street maps for the US and Europe. Color screen, scrolling, zoom, altimeter... excellent satellite connection even from inside. Seems perfect. However it has a serious flaw for our kind of work- and Garmin is aware of it. I thought I'd let you all know in case anyone is considering a purchase. Garmin will be putting out a firmware fix- sometime soon but they couldn't say when.

Here's the problem- the cursor 'drifts' when on track record mode and while sitting still. Which means that when you stop to check maps, talk with people, etc the cursor continues to drift and lay track. This could be a serious nightmare if you download your tracks at the command post! How on earth could anyone decipher where you went? The alternative- turning the unit off when stopped, is not really practical. They really should be warning folks of this issue instead of waiting for folks like me to contact them!!

Another potential issue in the design of the unit- there is a nice little raised button on the front of hte unit that is used for 'enter' and to scroll in all directions. Problem is you can't LOCK IT. Which means that in a holster you can accidentally engage it. Garmin is NOW aware of it and will be working on a firmware fix for this as well. I'm trying to design a little locking cap so it doesn't happen.

In general I like this unit but if anyone knows of another unit wiht similar features and price that does not have these issues- I'm listening. It wouldn't break my heart to return and exchange this unit.

thanks,
Chris Pennington