msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS issue

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Robert Eversole at Turtletop Farm" <robert@turtletopfarm.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS issue
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 18:42:38 -0500

New Years Greetings from a lurker,

Lat / Long positional drift is a combination of many factors including:
1) Receiver accuracy - Recreational models like the eTrex have a general
accuracy of plus or minus 10 meters.
2) Receiver Configuration - Internal antennas are less accurate than
external.
3) Canopy - Vegetative cover can play havoc with your reading's accuracy.

These and other factors, all fold into why your GPS thinks it's moving when
it's clearly not. These units capture data continuously and with each
capture errors are introduced. As long as the drift you're experiencing is
within an area of about 60 feet (the sum of expected variations) your unit
is most likely working fine.

Hopefully, the realities of GPS accuracy will not shatter your expectations
of recreational GPS receivers and applications. A GPS's ability to
accurately give location is an amazing feat of technology.

For general and S&R usage I use a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. (For work I use a
Trimble that's accurate to under 1 meter). The Garmin's external antenna
helps with accuracy and canopy issues.

As far as the design goes, my Garmin unit also has external buttons. To keep
them from being accidentally depressed, and to keep the receiver in better
view of the satellites, I've glued Velcro to both it and the shoulder straps
of my camelback. Works well for me although conditioning the horse to the
noise of the Velcro was interesting.

Happy mapping!

Turtletop Farm
Robert & Celeste Eversole