msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS issue

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Marie Lester" <marie.lester@gmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS issue
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 07:26:12 -0500

On 1/2/08, Robert Eversole at Turtletop Farm <robert@turtletopfarm.com> wrote:
> New Years Greetings from a lurker,
>
> Lat / Long positional drift is a combination of many factors including:
> 1) Receiver accuracy - Recreational models like the eTrex have a general
> accuracy of plus or minus 10 meters.
> 2) Receiver Configuration - Internal antennas are less accurate than
> external.
> 3) Canopy - Vegetative cover can play havoc with your reading's accuracy.
>
> These and other factors, all fold into why your GPS thinks it's moving when
> it's clearly not. These units capture data continuously and with each
> capture errors are introduced. As long as the drift you're experiencing is
> within an area of about 60 feet (the sum of expected variations) your unit
> is most likely working fine.

Thanks, Robert,
You brought up some interesting points.
Thus far, I am really impressed with the fact that the Garmin 60CSx
can retain signal in thickly wooded areas as well as inside a home.
Previously, I had a Magellan SportTrack, and its reception did not
come close to this unit's performance.

Marie