msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] ASCT (K-9) MSAR Clinic

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] ASCT (K-9) MSAR Clinic
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 21:56:28 -0600

Tm' Fi wrote:
>Does anyone have any knowledge about the "American society of K9
>trainers" and their new MSAR Clinic? After speaking with the ASCT
>owners, I was advised that provide certified MSAR training in all 50
>states through ASCT standards.

If ASCTK9 cannot or will not tell you the basis of the certification,
then it is their own. Judging by http://www.asctk9.com/generic67.html
they are following NASAR's lead: certification of a canine handler
means the handler passed their "certification test" and a safety test.

Ask to see a copy of their standard.

There are a lot of people around the country offering to teach MSAR
clinics. Some of them I know have relevant experience. Concerning
the quality and content of their instruction, I have no idea because
I have not had the opportunity to attend any of their clinics.

If a training organization won't tell you who the trainer is, often
that is a sign they do not have a trainer lined up for the course.
Community colleges and online schools use this strategy rather often.
The organization may intend to recruit the trainer only after they
get enough students enrolled to make a profit for themselves and the
trainer. Or the trainer may require secrecy so that if the course
is cancelled (for any reason) it does not tarnish the trainer's own
reputation.

I personally would want to know in advance who the trainer will be.

I am very enthusiastic about the idea of a SAR dog organization
offering MSAR training; maybe the training will be strong on the
use of the horse as a search animal. I am not enthusiastic about
combining MSAR training with a despooking clinic. That implies
they expect the students, both human and equine, to have little or
no experience.