msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Stranded camper rescued after nearly 5 weeks in forest

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Stranded camper rescued after nearly 5 weeks in forest
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:02:37 -0700

Chuck Daniel wrote:
>Many years ago I lived in Albuquerque and my uncle and I packed into that
>area. If memory serves me right, it is an area of steep canyons.

Yes. And the past month has been unusually wet in New Mexico, with
several big storms. In this environment, so-called high desert,
high water will be thick with sediment and debris. Very dangerous.

> According to the Albuquerque press account, it appeared
>that the sar mission underestimated how far out she had traveled. This is
>not a criticism since she had planned to be out 2 weeks but rather an
>observation. The amount of time before the search began worked against the
>sar people.

It sure did.

The AP article states that Ms. Dorn's campsite was 6 miles from the
nearest road. That does not necessarily mean 6 miles from her car,
nor a 6 mile hike to that road. The hikers who found her took a day
and a half to reach a road where they could hitch a ride.

I will look out for an after report from Frankie Benoist, to share
with everyone. It should be interesting reading!