msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Winter freeze/storm coping strategies

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Winter freeze/storm coping strategies
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:11:48 -0500

At sunrise this morning our outdoor thermometer read 8F. Cold but
still, clear and beautiful. The ground is well insulated by a thick
blanket of snow, and in the absense of any wind solar radiation at
our low latitude is enough to overheat the horses in their plush
winter coats.

My favorite source of tips for prevention of and coping with horse
related issues of foul weather is the Usenet newsgroup rec.equestrian.
Its archive is searchable via Google Groups. Eg:

Sunrise this morning brought the third day of rain to Ohio. At present I am not worried about ice, cold or snow. It is the possibility of flooding and then freezing temperatures. As of 12:00 pm we have received three inches of rain on already saturated ground. The horses have been stirring up much mud, thankfully we have a barn for them at night. Because of the saturated pastures I have had to let them out on the arena for out time and hay time. May have to do this for the remainder of week until the ground firms up. Did I mention the dry/mud lot. Well that is a sea of mud. How is everyone else coping in this much too mild wet winter?

Chuck
KVMSAR