msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Stranded camper rescued after nearly 5 weeks in forest

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Stranded camper rescued after nearly 5 weeks in forest
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:17:58 -0500

Many years ago I lived in Albuquerque and my uncle and I packed into that area. If memory serves me right, it is an area of steep canyons. While we did not camp near the Gila River, I do remember the beautiful landscape and vast loneliness. According to the Albuquerque press account, it appeared that the sar mission underestimated how far out she had traveled. This is not a criticism since she had planned to be out 2 weeks but rather an observation. The amount of time before the search began worked against the sar people. The lesson here I believe, when going out leave details on where you plan to go.

Chuck
----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>