msar-riders - [MSAR] Bright safety gear

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Bright safety gear
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:37:25 -0700 (PDT)

Karen Nesbitt's account of this tragedy is a reminder for all of us to be as
visible as possible even when exercising/training on your own property. I
have come across hunters and poachers in the woods on a bay quarterhorse that
could be mistaken for a deer. The fact that they carry a weapon is why I
have my cell phone and am polite when they are reminded they are on private
property and hunting is not allowed.

That said, I wear light/bright shirt and often talk to any riding
companion(s) or whistle to my dog to be safe and heard. During hunting
season, I will now always wear a bright vest, carry a whistle. There are
bright covers for helmets too. It is easier in the early morning and near
dusk to be mistaken for quarry.

It is possible being more visible would have helped, but speed was likely a
factor in seeing the riders too late to react. The riders and their mounts
are in my prayers.